[Discuss-gnuradio] use of pulseaudio -- some parameters to call?

From: Michael Hartje
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] use of pulseaudio -- some parameters to call?
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 12:09:50 +0200

Opensuse 11.3 uses pulseaudio as a standard audio-io. Gnuradio 3.3.x
offers alsa audiosink and audiosource.

When I put "pulse" as parameter for the "device_name" in GRC, with
"verbose" in the "~/.gnuradio/config.conf" I got information about
samplerate and other parameters (see below) -- in my case: the format
S32LE is selected. -- How can I change to use S16LE?

How can I change these audio parameters in GRC? What other parameters
can be changed in ~/.gnuradio/config.conf or by call?
I like to reduce the audio samplerate down to 1000 Hz or up to 192 kHz
-- is there any limit to do this when the hardware supports it?

Are there any changes to do in the pulseaudio "default.pa" or by pactl /
pacmd?

Where can I find some more infomation on that? -- doxygen does not show
enough information even the audio_alsa_sink.h which is given in the
doxygen object.

Thanks for reading and thinking on answers

Michael

By the way -- I made a newer rpm SPEC-file for gnuradio 3.3.0 and
3.3.1-git -- anybody interested obtaining this?

my config.conf is:
----------8<-------------

[audio_alsa]

default_input_device = pulse
default_output_device = pulse
verbose = true
----------8<--------------
the verbose output in terminal window of grc is
----------8<--------------

PCM name: pulse
Access types:
    MMAP_INTERLEAVED     NO
    MMAP_NONINTERLEAVED  NO
    MMAP_COMPLEX         NO
    RW_INTERLEAVED       YES
    RW_NONINTERLEAVED    NO
Formats:
    U8                   YES
    S16_LE               YES
    S16_BE               YES
    S32_LE               YES
    S32_BE               YES
    FLOAT_LE             YES
    FLOAT_BE             YES
    MU_LAW               YES
    A_LAW                YES
Number of channels
    min channels: 1
    max channels: 32
    1 channels    YES
    2 channels    YES
    3 channels    YES
    4 channels    YES
    5 channels    YES
    6 channels    YES
    7 channels    YES
    8 channels    YES
    9 channels    YES
    10 channels    YES
    11 channels    YES
    12 channels    YES
    13 channels    YES
    14 channels    YES
    15 channels    YES
    16 channels    YES
Sample Rates:
    min rate:       1 (dir = 0)
    max rate:  192000 (dir = 0)
      8000  YES
     16000  YES
     22050  YES
     32000  YES
     44100  YES
     48000  YES
     96000  YES
    192000  YES
audio_alsa_source[pulse]: using S32_LE
audio_alsa_source[pulse]: sample resolution = 32 bits

M. Hartje
--
Dr.-Ing. Michael Hartje
Labor Hochspannungstechnik / Labor elektrische Messtechnik