[Discuss-gnuradio] USRP2, is that possible to skip the Ethernet and pass

From: Malihe Ahmadi
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP2, is that possible to skip the Ethernet and pass data through general purpose (physically accessible) inputs to the FPGA?
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 19:07:26 -0600

Hi,

I am using USRP2+RFX2400 board and trying to adapt our packetized communication on the board. As I understand the Ethernet does its own packetization on information data and we don't like that. therefore we are looking into avoid passing our information data to the board through Ethernet. We are also fine to make the configuration values for other peripherals on the board (such as DAC, ADC and daughter boards) fixed so that we still can get away with no Ethernet interface. so we are interested to know if there is a general purpose input bus (at least 5 pins) that I can use to pass my data serially to the FPGA. That means I would like to see if it is possible to remove all the Verilog codes in FPGA related to handling the Ethernet interface and get the data I'd like to process through a general purpose input bus (at least 5 pins for clock and serial data input and 3 handshaking signals) instead of Ethernet port. For that reason, I need this general purpose bus to be physically accessible on the board so that I can connect them to a digital signal generator. Do you have any suggestion/recommendation for me?

Thanks,
Malihe