[Discuss-gnuradio] USRP1, GNU Radio, UHD???

From: Mason Scott
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP1, GNU Radio, UHD???
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 14:20:45 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

   this is my first post here and I would like to ask a question. I bought a USRP1 hardware with some daughterboards and I would like to start to do something with it, but the problem is that I don't know where to start.

    As I read messages here in the mailing list I realized that I'm really at the beginning compared to all of you. I read some questions about the usage of GNU Radio and Windows to control USRP1, but I could not found any clear answer. This is why I'm asking for some help.

    The OS I'm using is the Windows OS, I really didn't tried out Linux and others, because the majority of softwares I write is for Windows environment. So I'm familiarized with the Windows environment and this is where I would like to do my work if it is possible.

    I have to do my diploma work and I have to us an USRP to make an application, to be able to read some data from a hardware, to show how it can be integrated in a system, I'not giving any more details because it's not important. My whole project will be written in VisualStudio this is why I want to use the Windows environment.

    My USRP1 is running, powered, but what's next? I tried to install GNU Radio with CygWin and MinGW but no success, then I read something related to UHD, but it's not clear, how much support it brings for USRP1, and what I will be able to do, or how to use it.

    Could anyone (those who have installed successfully GNU Radio or used UHD) to explain in some big (or detaild) steps what they have done. How they started USRP1, how they read out some values. For example if I will use a Bluetooth module, ZigBee module or any custom made module using some custom made protocol (something simple to be able to implement it) and I will send some data (a single byte to use bits from it for switching different devices, it'snot import), how I could receive that data? What should I do (OK, I make a python script that will read data out of the USB port of the USRP1 and what should I do with it to pass it to my application [maybe I could make a stream to transfer data or a file] because I want to use it in real world application)? Maybe there are persons who already made this and could help with a few ideas.

    Now, please don't think that I want anyone of you to solve any problems that I might encounter, or to make my job, I only want some help, some basic help, from those who really used GNU Radio in Windows environment, after that if I understand in big steps how it's working and I will be able to install GNU Radio or configure UHD than I will be able to make my project.  Maybe with a few ideas will be more clear to me how this (USRP1, daughterboards, Windows, USB, Python, VisualStudio) is working and it will help other people to unrstand and to have something in written form therefore this questions will be never asked again (I saw that many people asked these questions or something similar).

    I only want some ideas like (ex: you can get the files to install from there, don't get them from other places because are not trustfull or don't do that because it could crash the whole installation process).

    I hope that your answers will make all this more clear not only for me, but for others.

    Thank you very much to all those who are so kind to give an answer. I wish to all of you a wonderfull day.

                            Mason Scott.