Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] WBX transmitting on the TV ba nd?‏‏

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] WBX transmitting on the TV ba nd?‏‏
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2010 11:06:58 -0400

2010/9/28 Hok Lee <address@hidden>:
> As you may know, the FCC has finalized the ruling of the TV white space on
> Sep. 23
> Quoted from:
> http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/10/09/24/2124223/FCC-White-Space-Rules-Favor-Tech-Industry
>
> "They dropped the requirement that devices sense TV and wireless microphone
> signals. Instead, they can geolocate and use an online database to learn
> which white spaces are available in their area. "
>
> I checked some other related news. It seems FCC only requires the TV band
> devices to update the channel-availability database on a daily basis.  Does
> that mean we can use the USRP+WBX to transmit over the TV band, and manually
> check the availability of channels on an online data base, such as:
>
> http://spectrumbridge.com/products-services/whitespaces/showmywhitespace/single-location-search.aspx
>
> Hope someone can help answer this question.  Thanks for your time!
>
> - Hok

I keep meaning to read more about the new whitespace regulations, but
my guess is that we have to be careful with transmitting from a USRP,
even under the new regulations. It's very likely that there is still
some type certification required for transmitting in the whitespaces;
so just sensing or knowing what channels are unoccupied is probably
not enough.

Anybody with actual legal knowledge have anything to say about this?

Tom