[Discuss-gnuradio] USRP2 Noise figure and Phase noise measurement method

From: Jorge Miguel
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP2 Noise figure and Phase noise measurement methods
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2010 15:30:16 +0200

Hi all!,

I am going to measure both parameters, noise figure and phase noise of my USRP2+XCVR2450 transceiver.
After some reading about different methods of measuring them I have some questions.

Phase noise.
I read that in the lack of a Signal Source Analyzer (SSA) the most spread method of measuring it is with the delay line technique. Is it the right way to measure the phase noise in the USRP? Has anybody of you done it before?

Noise figure.
The standard way of measuring it seems to be the Y-Method using a noise source connected to the DUT and then measuring the output power of the DUT when the noise source is on and off. However as I understand it, in this case the USRP2 is not a two port device. It is just a receiver. Is it valid to measure the USRP2 power with software? (usrp2_fft.py for example, as I have read in another mailing list posts)

What are the range of values I should expect to understand I have made a good measurements?
Any advise to do it?

Many thanks in advance,
Jorge.