Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] usrp_probe, failed to find usrp[0] - was working

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] usrp_probe, failed to find usrp[0] - was working yesterday...
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 21:03:42 -0400

On 10/12/2010 08:49 PM, jefftk wrote:
> I just received a new USRP & WBX board for a research project I am working
> on. I have installed GNURadio from source from the tar package:
> http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnuradio/gnuradio-3.3.0.tar.gz, on Ubuntu 10.04,
> amd64
>
> I am having problems connecting/finding the USRP:
> running "usrp_probe" or "usrper get_hash0" result in "usrp: failed to find
> usrp[0]"
>
> running "sudo usrp_probe" results in "ImportError: cannot import name usrp"
> running "sudo usrper get_hash0" results in "found unconfigured usrp; needs
> firmware."
>
> I have seen mention that the blinking light on the motherboard is indicative
> of some state (I have not been able to locate documentation stating
> this....can someone point me to this?) the light on my motherboard is
> currently blinking at bout 2-3Hz, which I think is supposed to mean it has
> good firmware loaded.
>
> I successfully ran usrp_probe (with sudo if I recall correctly) last night
> and it successfully connected and found the wbx daughterboard.
>
> Other than powering down the USRP overnight I'm not sure what or if I
> changed anything.
> I can use gnuradio-companion and run some basic tutorial programs that don't
> interface with the usrp.
> I have tried reinstalling GNURadio, between versions 3.3.0 and 3.2 several
> times, neither have connected to the usrp.
>
> other information:
> PYTHONPATH = /usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages
> "ls -lR /dev/bus/usb | grep usrp"  =   "crw-rw---- 1 root usrp      189, 4
>
> at some point I noticed this, I have been unable to reproduce it though
> "dmesg" = [ 2117.132151] usb 1-1: usbfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL failed cmd usrper
> rqt 64 rq 1 len 0 ret -110
>
> Plugging in USRP usb cable:
> dmesg output =
> [14316.247647] usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address 6
> [14326.592048] usb 1-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address
> 7
> [14326.725176] usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
>
> I'm not sure what the problem is now.. is it a configuration problem with
> GNURadio, a problem with the USB interface/driver, or is there actually an
> issue with the USRP firmware?
> I'm hesitant to think it is a firmware problem, because I don't think there
> is any way I could have modified the firmware..
>
> Thanks for your help,
> -Jeff

Your problem is likely that you haven't put your userid in group "usrp",
and likely haven't created group "usrp", and likely
  haven't told udev about what group the usrp should be in when it's
instantiated.

Check out the post-install instructions here:

http://gnuradio.org/redmine/wiki/gnuradio/FedoraInstall

Now, if you "SUDO" you can get around the permissions issue, but you'll
have to make sure that your PYTHONPATH is available
  across the "SUDO", which by default it isn't.  So once you're in a
"root" environment you'll have to manually set your
  PYTHONPATH so that the appropriate python modules can be found.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator