[Discuss-gnuradio] Transmitter's bizarre behavior on 64 bit workstation

From: Andrew Ge
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Transmitter's bizarre behavior on 64 bit workstation
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 12:48:44 -0400

 Eric,

I found a puzzling fact about running GNU Radio on the 64-bit Lenovo workstation D20.

Basically, the maximum packet size (payload at the transmitter side in the benchmark_tx.py) must be less than or equal to 221. Below this size, packets from the workstation can be correctly received by either a laptop or another workstation; above this size, no packet can be received correctly on either a laptop or another workstation. I was using 500kb data rate and GMSK modulations.

The same code works perfectly on a laptop as the transmitter, no matter the receiver side is on a laptop or a workstation.

At first, I thought it might be a result of the quad core (8 CPUs) architecture. So I disable 3 cores and only one core was left. However, I got the same result.

Also, the CPU usage for a transmitter doesn't make sense to me either. It was above 90% on the workstation (2 Intel Xeon X5550 cpus at 2.67 GHz). However it was only around 35% on the laptops (2 Intel T9550 CPUs at 2.66GHz).

I could not understand what might be the problem.

Andrew