Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP2 high data throughout for WiFi 802.11 proces

From: Douglas Geiger
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP2 high data throughout for WiFi 802.11 processing or GALILEO E5
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 10:05:37 -0400

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 8:48 AM, Fabrizio Tappero
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello guys,
> I suppose some people out there are interested, like me, in doing
> stuff with relatively large-bandwidth signals like 20MHz WiFi stuff or
> even 50 MHz GALILEO E5.

There is some existing work on Wifi with the USRP2 - check out the
BBN802.11 project page on CGRAN, and take a look at the usrp2_version
branch.

> My question is: with a decimation of 4 you get a fs = 25MHz and
> therefore I would think that the bandwidth that you can capture is
> actually half that, meaning ~12MHz. Could somebody explain to me why I
> am wrong?

The USRP2 uses complex sampling: each 'sample' consists of both an
16-bit in-phase (I) and a 16-bit quadrature phase (Q) sample. This
effectively doubles the bandwidth of the signal you can observe.