Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Gnuradio package description

From: Thunder87
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Gnuradio package description
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 03:01:27 -0800 (PST)

Martin Braun-4 wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 11:35:47PM -0800, Thunder87 wrote:
> although I'm always glad to see people interested in GNU Radio, I think
> you should spend at least one minute figuring out answers for yourself.
> See:
> http://gnuradio.org/redmine/wiki/gnuradio/ReportingErrors
> The modules you mention have either a 'doc' directory or they directly
> spell out what they do (what's your first Google hit for 'noaa' or
> 'atsc' or 'comedi'? What does your DSP textbook say about 'trellis'?).
>
> Speaking as a fellow subscriber reader to this list--I'm no moderator or
> anything.
>
> By including 'gr-utils' in your query, I infer you haven't even looked
> inside.

Just wanted to throw out unnecessary stuff. There's no need to get angry.

gr-gpio
gr-trellis ... something about coding
gr-utils
gcell
gr-gcell
gr-msdd6000 ... no idea, but I somewhy think I wouldn't need anything with
ugly-looking name like that
gr-atsc ... maybe digital TV
gr-comedi ... might be about digital acquisition of something
gr-noaa ... something about weather

Thanks for your help so far Martin. You know, not everyone's native language
is english, and it might be confusing to search for something like "trellis"
if you don't know it's related to DSP.

Also thanks for they directly spell out what they do. It can also be a bit
confusing when you search for a python code package and find National
Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

This leaves:
gcell ... i'll take a wild guess that it's not
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G_cell
gr-gpio ... I/O? If not related to USRP I/O or console I/O - not my field of
interest
gr-utils ... yep, you're right - no idea
gr-gcell ... and again - no idea