Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] any recommended PCIe Ethernet NICs?

From: Matt Ettus
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] any recommended PCIe Ethernet NICs?
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 08:37:04 -0800

On 11/17/2010 01:03 AM, Steve Mcmahon wrote:
Hello:

What Ethernet cards do people use/recommend for use with the USRP2?
I'm using an Intel PRO/1000 GT 1Gbps PCI NIC, and it seems to work
fine and has always been reliable. Is anyone else using this NIC?

I'm not sure if my NIC is the best choice, or if I would benefit from
using a PCI Express-based NIC.

The GNU Radio website recommends using a PCIe NIC, instead of a
common and inexpensive PCI NIC. Is anyone using a PCIe NIC? Which
make and model?

Here's my Intel PRO/1000 GT 1Gbps PCI NIC:
http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/adapters/pro1000gt/pro1000gt-overview.htm

 Here's the GNU Radio NIC Recommendation (see "What Gigabit Ethernet
Interface do you suggest?"):
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/wiki/1/USRP2UserFAQ

I did look at
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/wiki/gnuradio/USRP2GigEReports but the
list is not complete and seems a little old, and so I want to survey
the GNU Radio community.

I would love to hear what people are using, and what people find to
be reliable. Thanks for your feedback, everyone!!

Steve McMahon

PCI will not get you maximum bandwidth at full duplex (I.e. 25 MS/s in and out simultaneously), but otherwise should work well if its a good chipset (like the one you have).

Intel cards are the gold standard. Marvell and Broadcom are good as well. I never trust anything from Realtek.

Matt