Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] least processor intensive modulation scheme

From: William Cox
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] least processor intensive modulation scheme
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 12:26:37 -0500

I guess it'd be nice if there was a way to compare spectral efficiency vs. processing power.
In terms of complex modulation schemes, which would be least intensive? QAM, QPSK, GMSK?

I ask because I'm trying to use an Atom-based system for running GNURadio and I'd like to minimize the overhead as much as possible. I've been using GMSK so far, but I got to wondering if I could save any appreciable amount by switching to an "easier" modulation scheme.

Thanks!
-William

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 11:03 AM, Marcus D. Leech <address@hidden> wrote:
On 11/17/2010 09:52 AM, William Cox wrote:
> Do the processor usage for the various mod/demod schemes change that
> much? Which scheme is the least processor intensive?
> Thanks!
> -William

Wildly and vastly!

Consider AM, for example (or OOK in the data world) it's just a multiply
operation on the carrier.
 Simple, easy, and demodulation is just as cheap.

>From that point, it's all over the place!

OFDM is probably the most expensive one in the arsenal these days.

--
Principal Investigator
Shirleys Bay Radio Astronomy Consortium