[Discuss-gnuradio] Getting started and documentation beyond dialtone.py

From: madengr
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Getting started and documentation beyond dialtone.py ?
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 13:02:19 -0800 (PST)

I finally purchased a USRP2.  I have many years of RF/Microwave hardware
experience but totally new to Python programming, not to mention C++.  I
know some C for microcontrollers, a little Verilog on Xilinx hardware, and
some DSP theory.  I have read Lyon's book and have taken his class, along
with some classes in grad school.

I have the gnuradio 'next' branch working with the USRP2 via the UHD.  I
have a basic nbfm receiver working in GNU Radio Companion (GRC).

1)  I'd like to get started with coding flow-graphs in Python.  Is there any
documentation that describes the Python libraries, mainly arguments to the
functions and the algorithm details?  I'm browsing through the doxygen
documentation but it's kind of overwhelming since it's geared toward C++ and
doesn't cover how it functions.

2) What IDE is good for Python, specifically for use with gnuradio?  I have
dabbled a few hours with Wing IDE and I like it so far.  I want something
with a class browser and auto completion.  However, I figured it would help
(e.g. auto-completion) with the arguments to the gnuradio functions, but it
gives no hints.

3) I saw there was an actual gnuradio book, but looks like it was never
published.  I'd be willing to buy this in PDF or ebook format; is it
avaiable?

Anyway, for now I'm looking at the *.py that GRC generates and learning from
that.  Also looking at the examples in source tree.  I'm just wondering if
there is more documentation.  Maybe it's just dive in and sink or swim; of
course that's probably the best way to learn.  I figure modifying the
example programs to work with the UHD will teach me allot.