Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FSK modulation

From: Pascal Matthieu
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FSK modulation
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 13:51:37 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Marcus,

    yes I read a while ago and I will use code from FM.

   GNURadio is a very interesting software development toolkit. It's very usefull when trying to make some research, to try out many interesting things, but if you intend to make something that will be installed on certain computers in hundreds of different locations, you can't tell that they should install GNURadio, and install Python and Install I don't know how many dependencies, and an application will run some python code that will glue together some functions written in C++ and so on; you have to give a single executable, that will interact with some DLL files like the UHD to get data from different SDR platforms (the USRP in my case or maybe other Ettus devices).

  In Visual Studio I can make a professional GUI. As you said, yes I can use UHD to program USRP's FPGA, to get I/Q data and after that I could make my own software (containing GNURadio source code) to be able to do many interesting things. Anyway if GNURadio is compiled (gnuradio-core.dll) I could call functions directly from this DLL (I saw how functions are exported), anyway I don't know if functions use anything from boost and other libraries. So the idea is to be able to make own GUI in Visual Studio not python, to use functions from these libraries (UHD, gnuradio-core and others that might help) to make a fully functional software without the need to install Python; I will use some custom scripting language to set different parameters and specify some other libraries to modulate/demodulate or respectively encode/decode data.

  The only thing to make my custom software is to find out how to use and how to call different functions from compiled DLL files and for this I will use example source codes.

  So as a final word GNURadio together with UHD are very valuable, what I don't like is python, and the idea that I would have to run some extra program to glue together C++ blocks, I like native code :). Anyway at the beginning I will use these tools to learn, and to make the project, after that I will move everything to my software. I was only interested if what I described at point nr. 2 is correct, with the received data, and the logic.

Thanks you Marcus for your answers. Have a nice day.

Pascal.