Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [USRP-users] Measuring Input SNR in USRP using On

From: George Sklivanitis
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [USRP-users] Measuring Input SNR in USRP using On-Off Keying modulation
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 21:50:03 +0300

On 7/6/11 8:20 PM, Colby Boyer wrote:
One method would be to use a single pole IIR filter to get an average of the noise floor energy, and compare that with the average symbol energy.

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 6:49 AM, George Sklivanitis <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello all,

Lately, I am experimenting with a point-to-point SDR link where my transmitter uses On-Off Keying modulation while the receiver follows techniques for efficient signal processing and detection (non-coherent, coherent). My major problem is how can I measure the input SNR as a ratio of the power of the received signal to the power of noise, given also that we ignore the quantity of NF (Noise Figure).

Thank you in advance for your concern,

GS

--
Sklivanitis Georgios
M.Sc. Student

Hello again,

Could it be sufficient enough to say that we measure the noise's variance as the variance of the data captured when nobody transmits in the desired frequency and then the ratio of the received signal energy to the noise's energy plus 1 will give us the estimated Signal-to-Noise ratio?

Thanks,
GS