Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] uhd installer(build-gnuradio) got stuck

From: Abhishek Gupta
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] uhd installer(build-gnuradio) got stuck
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 17:43:52 -0400

Hi Nemanja,
I already have gnuradio installed on my machine. I was actually trying to install uhd with that script. Since that script didn't work for me, I followed these steps to install uhd written in the script:
git clone git://code.ettus.com/ettus/uhd.git >/dev/null 2>&1
cd uhd/host
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ../ >cmake.log 2>&1
make clean >/dev/null 2>&1
make >make.log 2>&1
make install >UHD_install.log 2>&1
ldconfig

After installation, when we tried importing uhd in python, we get this message:
>>> from gnuradio import uhd
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: cannot import name uhd

So I thought I may have missed something while installing uhd and so I tried installing it with the script.
Do I need to install any other module?
Thanks,
Abhi.

Nemanja Trecakov wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am trying to install uhd on one of my ubuntu lucid using the script build-gnuradio I downloaded from website http://code.ettus.com/redmine/ettus/projects/uhd/wiki
>It started fine but got stuck at:
>Continuing with script
>Installing pre-prequisites...

Hi, I had the same problem last week. I assume you used the script from http://www.sbrac.org/files/build-gnuradio.

If you open the script and study a little bit, you can find that your installation is stuck at this particular point:

-----------------
	#
	# It's a Ubuntu system
	#
	elif [ -f /etc/lsb-release ]
	then
		SYSTYPE=Ubuntu
		sudo apt-get purge 'gnuradio-*' >/dev/null 2>&1
		sudo apt-get purge 'libgruel-*' >/dev/null 2>&1
		sudo apt-get purge 'libgruel*' >/dev/null 2>&1
		sudo apt-get purge 'libgruel0*' >/dev/null 2>&1
		sudo apt-get purge 'libgnuradio*' >/dev/null 2>&1
		sudo apt-get purge 'python-gnuradio*' >/dev/null 2>&1
----------------

This is around line 160. You can see that the outputs and errors from the processes of "purging" these components is directed towards  >/dev/null.
This means that even if you get any error or you get promted by installer about anything, you do not see it. It is quite nice property when everything goes as expected.

My solution - Install these components separately without >/dev/null 2>&1. You write in the terminal:

$ sudo apt-get purge 'gnuradio-*'

Now you get all the results printed on the screen, and you can understand what went wrong. Do this for each component of these six written above.
After it is done successfully, try again with the script from the beginning, and everything should function and install properly.

>I left it like this for about an hour assuming that it is doing something at the background but nothing happened.
>Is there anything I need to do before using this script? Please suggest.

>Thanks,
>Abhi.

I also left mine over night, but the bash is stuck and it does not help.

P.S. I also got a message " make of UHD failed", so I went into the script and tried to run some steps before the message alone in the terminal, and I found out that I had to reinstall cmake. After I did this, I started the script again, and it worked!

If you get any more problems, just try to study the script and you will find it out.

Cheers

Nemanja