[Discuss-gnuradio] BorIP server (USRP 1 network interface), ExtIO_USRP p

From: Balint Seeber
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] BorIP server (USRP 1 network interface), ExtIO_USRP plugin for Winrad, GRC 'Any' & Fast Auto-correlation blocks
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 22:30:07 +1000

Hi folks,

[Apologies if you’ve already read this on the USRP Users mailing list. I’m re-posting here as it has to do with GNU Radio too, esp. (3) & (4).]

I would like to let you know that I’ve just released two pieces of software in one package that I hope some of you find useful:

1)      BorIP: A server that acts as the network interface to a USRP (intended primarily for the USRP 1).

2)      ExtIO_USRP: A plugin for Winrad/HDSDR/WRplus (nice SDR receiver/demod apps) that allows you to sample from a locally-connected USRP, or from a remote unit via BorIP.

They both use a common wrapper that supports the Legacy interface and UHD.

In addition, I’ve also put up:

3)      GRC block definitions (w/ accompanying patch) to allow for what I call ‘Any’ blocks: an easy way of ‘making’ (instantiating) any block and representing it in GRC without having to write an XML block definition for it (obviously not as nice, but quick-and-dirty when you’re in a rush and able to type in the raw Python code).

4)      The Fast Auto-correlation block originally written by Frank of Radiorausch, which now conforms to the newer blks2 API. Includes a proper GRC block. (Frank, if you’re out there, do get in touch!) Tested it successfully with a few signals, e.g. TETRA & W-CDMA.

The ExtIO plugin is also able to relay the data it receives, along with tuning information via XML-RPC for channel selection, to another destination on your LAN where you can perform further processing (e.g. in GNU Radio Companion). In addition, the plugin can similarly relay data from a baseband RF recording (made by the app) while it is being played back – this is great for testing a separate demodulator/decoder under development, e.g. using this I’ve knocked up a very early stage demod for VDL-2 in GRC (aviation VHF Data Link Mode 2, or ‘next-gen ACARS’).

You can download the installer for (1) and (2) here: http://spench.net/r/USRP_Interfaces

It is an all-in-one package (plugin, server, firmware, USB drivers, runtime libraries and optional download of Winrad/HDSDR). Also, it’s highly beta/experimental, so comments and feedback are most welcome! E.g. only tested on USRP 1+WBX w/ Legacy and UHD.

I have published a short demo video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2PaSeR-4Ck

The full BorIP protocol spec is available too (aim was to KISS; it’s no VRT), so if anyone would like to write a BorIP server for Linux and/or a GR client block, then that would be wonderful (I’ve run out of time on this one).

If you try it out, please let me know how you go! I really hope this helps people get more out of their receivers (dare I say it, especially on Windows).

Balint