[Discuss-gnuradio] autotools/configure using --static in pkg-config --li

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] autotools/configure using --static in pkg-config --libs request
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2011 12:10:03 -0400

So, the little problem that came up yesterday, with the Libs.private
information being hauled out of
  the uhd.pc data by "configure" stems from the fact that "configure" is
genned-up to use the "--static"
  option when it's calling pkg-config --libs to determine library
requirements.  But the "--static" option
  is designed for situations where static linking is being used, and we
aren't, in general, using static
  linking.  But the --static options is used in every single 'pkg-config
--libs' instance in "configure", and I
  wonder why?

Josh has temporarily removed the Libs.private section (or, pared it down
considerably) in his uhd.pc
  in order to get around this issue, but is it perhaps the case that the
--static option appears there
  inappropriately?

I'm not volunteering to fix it at this point--I've been a C/Unix/Linux
guy for 32 years, but have so far
  skilfully avoided learning the autotools :-)

--
Principal Investigator
Shirleys Bay Radio Astronomy Consortium