Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] OSX Audio Problem - AudioUnitRender kAudioUnitErr

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] OSX Audio Problem - AudioUnitRender kAudioUnitErr_CanNotDoInCurrentContext
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 07:59:13 -0400

As a bit of history, I wrote the OSX audio interface back in Winter of 2005/6;
it was designed for OSX 10.4, and IIRC worked under 10.5 without changes.  10.6
introduced some small changes, which is where the "GR_USE_OLD_AUDIO_UNIT" came
from -- someone else did the work, and I helped test it.  Some of the
interfaces were deprecated in 10.6, and I assume still are in 10.7 -- they are
still available, but won't be much longer.  So, yes, what worked 5 years ago
has held up remarkably well but now needs an update.

The update for correct functionality might be as simple as doing some extra
initialization; or, it might be much more complicated.  Clearly moving away
from the deprecated functions is a must; backwards compatibility with 10.4
would be nice, but I think 10.5 is far enough.  Obviously 10.6 and 10.7 are a
must.

I'm also interested in getting the OSX audio working again, but I probably
won't have a lot of time to put into it for a month or 2.  So, please keep me
updated. - MLD