Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] TVRX2+USRP (serial > 500) 'invalid EEPROM content

From: Dmitry Shatskiy
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] TVRX2+USRP (serial > 500) 'invalid EEPROM contents' problem
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 23:28:17 -0400

> Hi,
>
> We're using two older USRP boards:
> 1) Rev. 4.5, Ser. #3542,
> 2) Rev. 3, Ser. #290 with a clocking scheme modified according to the
> http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/USRPSerialBelow500 .
>
> We're also using a BasicRX daughterboard with both of these motherboards and
> have no problems receiving 150 MHz signals using our code.
>
> We were planning to use the newer TVRX2 receivers for the 400 MHz signals
> so we purchased a couple of TVRX2 Rev. 1.1 daughterboards. No changes were
> made to them. After plugging any of the two TVRX2 daughterboards - either in
> addition to BasicRX or separately in any of the receiver slots of any of the
> two USRPs - and trying to execute our code (or any other basic code like
> usrp_benchmark_usb.py) we get a standard error message:
>
> *> Warning: Treating daughterboard with invalid EEPROM contents as if it
> were a "Basic Rx."
>> Warning: This is almost certainly wrong... Use appropriate burn-*-eeprom
> utility.*

It looks like UHD is recognizing you daughterboard just fine, hence the
string "Name: TVRX2 (0x0046)" in the probe output.

I think you are trying to use the old libusrp1-gnuradio driver, when you
should be using the gr-uhd source and sink blocks:
http://code.ettus.com/redmine/ettus/projects/uhd/wiki#Gnuradio-UHD

Thanks for your reply Josh,

So the instructions are:
(1) Use the script
OR
(2) - run "git clone http://gnuradio.org/git/gnuradio.git",
    - Follow the Gnuradio build guide: http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/BuildGuide,
    - check the dependencies and make sure that gr-uhd is enabled in the Gnuradio source tree.

I'm positive I did (1) on one of our systems and (2) on another one. To the letter. Neither of them work.

I believe the libusrp1-gnuradio driver was installed along with the gr-uhd one.
Is there a way to figure out which library is being used by UHD?
Is there a way to specifically tell UHD which source and sink blocks should be used?

Thank you,
Dmitry Shatskiy.