Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio-next -- GRC FFT -- OpenGL Persistence Cr

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio-next -- GRC FFT -- OpenGL Persistence Crash
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 17:09:08 -0400

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 4:52 PM, Ben Hilburn <address@hidden> wrote:

If I don't use OpenGL, the persistence feature works just fine.  Has anyone else seen this error before?

My setup:
linux; GNU C++ version 4.6.1 20110819 (prerelease); Boost_104700; UHD_003.003.000-13899cd
Python 2.7
GNURadio next branch, commit: 882089131a00da24
python-opengl 3.0.1-2

Cheers,
Ben

<sarcasm> What? Problems with OpenGL in GNU Radio? Nope, never heard of that before </sarcasm>

Not sure if I've heard that particular problem, but there have been other reports of OpenGL issues. They can often be OS and hardware specific, so it's been really hard to work out these problems.

Tom

OpenGL has turned over the years from a pretty-nice hardware-abstraction layer (but which takes advantage of whatever hardware
  accelerations are available for rendering 3D objects) into a rancid, festering, pile of horse leavings.  It misbehaves randomly, depending
  on which hardware you happen to have, and only really-recent gee-whizz 400-core GPU cards seem to be really supported by the
  latest OpenGL code, while support for older cards (like, you know, last week's) tends to decay rapidly.

However, until we have a better choice for graphical "goop" in Gnu Radio, we're rather stuck with the underlying WxPython objects which
  uses OpenGL rendering for some of our graphical stuff (although, there's no real reason to--we don't have the kinds of performance
  demands that would require OpenGL hardware-assisted rendering, you hardly need that for an FFT display that updates only a few
  times per second, and has simple 2D imagery in it).

Try doing this before you start your application, does it help?

       LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1
        export LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT

--
Marcus Leech