Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP purchasing recommendation

From: Thomas Tsou
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP purchasing recommendation
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 10:03:37 -0400

On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 6:08 AM, Martin Flasskamp
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I want to set up a demonstrator system for wireless communication
> between two USRP devices. Some weeks ago, Matthias Wilhelm proposed the
> UCLA Zigbee implementation as a good starting point because of its
> complete and robust code.
>
> Now I reached the point that I want to buy two identical USRP devices
> for testing. Which platform is suitable to handle Zigbee and which
> platform will get the best support in the future?
> I think the USRP1 is outdated and there is no ongoing software
> development for this platform?

That is not true. The USRP1 is supported by the UHD driver, which
serves as common code base for all USRP products. UHD development is
very active. FPGA specific development on the USRP1 has largely
ceased, which is a concern for certain use cases, though not for the
aforementioned ZigBee implementation.

> So, which one should I buy? N200 or E100 Series? Which Model?

That depends on your specific objectives. What are your primary
concerns? Lowest price? Largest Bandwidth? Embedded form factor?

  Thomas