Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Connecting a receiver to the DBSRX

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Connecting a receiver to the DBSRX
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 22:15:10 -0500

Hi All,

I'm about to connect another receiver to the DBSRX to see the spectrum.

Q1: can I break sumthing if connect it straight (receiver -> DBSRX)
Q2: should I use an attenuator (ex: TV 0....20 dB)

Patrik

What kind of receiver is it, how much gain, and what is its maximum output level?

The DBSRX has a GaAs LNA on the front-end, which doesn't really like signals above -10dBm, I would put in at least 30dB, depending on
  what the signal source is.  The DBSRX (and DBSRX2) are both capable of "seeing" signals down to below -120dBm all by themselves, so
  if you're using them as "IF processors" for high-frequency receivers, put in a fair amount of attenuation.  Even without the hazard of
  damaging the LNA, you don't want to end up in non-linear territory because of too-high levels going into the receiver card.

With the exception of the BASIC_RX and LF_RX, all of the Ettus receivers are generally designed for "off air" reception,  connected
  to an antenna.  So if you're using them as the "IF", you should definitely attenuate the input levels down quite a bit.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator