Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] 8-bit samples on USRP2 at 33.333Msps

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] 8-bit samples on USRP2 at 33.333Msps
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 23:20:17 -0500

My AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 Processor does jyst fine with 50Msps FFT
plotter. Just sayin :-)

Hmmm, is the Athlon II generally better than the Phenom II (insns/clock? ). I suppose I should try it on my 1090T as well, which is rather faster than the 1055T I tried it on tonight. But that means lifting the 1055T rack enclosure off of the 1090T, diving inside to pull the SD card of the USRP2, etc, etc. [My two USRP2 are mounted inside the 4U rack enclosures of their host computers].
  Perhaps tomorrow night :-)

People should be aware that since this uses the upper-half (as far as I
know) of the ADC, you'll need more gain to drive those
   8 bits.
There is a configurable scale factor (see the stream args in the grc
block). It defaults to a value that gives you the upper 8.

-Josh

I noticed there was a "scalar=1024" option. Is that just a multiplier that UHD applies on the host side for 8-bit samples, or does it affect the hardware (a barrel shifter or something).

The point I was trying to make was that if your analog samples don't "light up" more than the bottom few bits, grabbing the top bits (including sign) isn't going to give you much useful information in the samples (except the sign bit). A couple of years ago when I was playing with 8-bit samples on the USRP1, I found I had to increase the gain of my analog componentry to get it to "light up" the top bits of the ADC, so that I had enough information that was "in range".

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator