[Discuss-gnuradio] using PPS signal to trigger the received data storage

From: Yan Nie
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] using PPS signal to trigger the received data storage in Pyton
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 16:52:31 -0500

 Dear all,

I am using USRP N200 with LFRX +UHD to design a receiver, which works fine to continuously receive data. I need to use PPS signal to trigger the received data storing only for 1ms every second after detecting the edge of PPS signal every second.

I tried the approach introduced in the gnuradio example, rx_timed_samples, detecting the PPS signal, then setup streaming, then fill out rx-meta-data by recv(). Eventually, I got to know the stream_cmd and recv are not swigged, which means I could use this method in Python.

>From previous email reply, the USRP source already tags the samples with a timestamp, I do not need to control when streaming begins, because the downstream block can determine the time of any samples using metadata.

1. I am wondering how can I fill out meta-data by the received data if recv() cannot be used in Python,as I wish to set the time of samples as the time when PPS signal is detected every second and use the total_num_samps to control the number of data USRP received every second after triggering be PPS signal.
I am using the following method to detect PPS signal:

    self.clk_cfg = uhd.clock_config()
    self.clk_cfg.pps_source = uhd.clock_config.PPS_SMA
    self.clk_cfg.pps_polarity = uhd.clock_config.PPS_NEG
    self._usrp2.set_clock_config(self.clk_cfg, uhd.ALL_MBOARDS)
    self._usrp2.set_time_unknown_pps(uhd.time_spec(0.0))

2. The PPS setting is done right after the USRP device is created, hence the PPS signal could be detected when USRP device is setup. I am also wondering this PPS setting could let the USRP detect PPS signal every second, or only once when this setting is called?

Any suggestion or idea will be really appreciated!

Thanks,
Yan