Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] New version of build-gnuradio

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] New version of build-gnuradio
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 12:17:32 -0500

Hi Marcus, is there a handy release note that matches this new version of
"build-gnuradio" script? If we had an previous installation on our system
(say: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS or 11.xx) are there any prerequisite steps that we
have/should to do before adopting this script - or, should we only use the
new script for fresh installations from now on?
I originally designed it for fresh installations. It isn't really designed as an ongoing-maint
  tool.  For that, there's "git pull/make/sudo make install".

I don't make release notes for it.  My life is quite full-enough as it is.

I did notice a small issue, but probably over the next few months this can
be worked out: There are several key locations for the files that GNU Radio,
UHD, others install in a single system:

Documentation
UHD binaries
GNU radio binaries
GNU Radio XML scripts
GNU Radio python scripts
Etc.
Etc.

Given the increased trend to adopt GNU radio as both development and
production systems, is there a possibility that we may have to adopt/or need
to confirm adoption of a particular file system / repository /
documentation/ directory standard? See
http://garrett.damore.org/fsstnd/fsstnd.html for a historical perspective
that is not always found in custom distributions such as Ubuntu. For many of
you, using Sun workstations, you also know the importance of using the /opt
tree for all custom package installs.
The script is designed for Ubuntu/Fedora and follows the filesystem layout of those systems. Presumably, if it's ever extended for other Linux distributions, and other *nix flavours, it will follow, as required, the filesystem layout conventions of those
  systems.

Marcus, thank you for your hard work. I actually have a relatively simple
addon to your script in alpha testing, that uses the dialog
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/2807 package (a modern version) to give
a user-friendly list of all available "tags" that can be chosen, and then
present that chosen set to the next installation module for installation.
Obviously I haven't yet fully integrated it, but if you allow, I could share
it with you at a later date - as an option to allow the user to choose from
the various interim releases easily. Let me know if you are interested, and
if anyone has any issues with the Linux: Dialog utility, please let me know
as well.  Is this now universally available on various OSes? Alternatively,
I could use plain old BASH to provide a less than pretty user interface.
Comments welcome.

Samudra

-
I wonder, out loud, how "user friendly" we have to make a system that is primarily intended for an audience that could loosely be termed "engineers". Gnu Radio + UHD are not, primarily, an "end application", but rather a development environment for developing applications. It rather assumes that you have some reasonable competence in software development, RF engineering, digital signal processing, and basic system-administration. It isn't intended to provide a big blue "make my PhD come out" button, or a "turn-key method for rendering EM waves into instant cash". If a script like 'build-gnuradio' is too complicated for a user to use, then I wonder about the probability that said user will have any success once
  Gnu Radio is installed.

The other possible argument is that build-gnuradio *already* "dumbs things down", so why not go all the way?

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator