Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] New to GnuRadio (Fortran own blocks?)

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] New to GnuRadio (Fortran own blocks?)
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 16:01:41 -0500

> We are trying to basically do all the processing of the data in a program,
> without passing it through blocks, like a basic code. We are using Fortran
> for two reasons, as its faster than C++ in certain aspects, and secondly,
> integrating the code (simple code, doesn't make use of classes etc) with
> NumPy seems easier.I would like to know if I take the data from USRP, write

To use the gnuradio framework, you have 2 options:
write the blocks in python or write the blocks in c++

Writing blocks in python is a recent invention of mine that hasnt made
it into the mainline code:
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/WriteBlocksInPython

Now, the actual implementation of your work() function, the code that is
doing all the heavy lifting can be written however, anyway, anyhow you like.

My only advice is to get everything working first in whatever language
you are most comfortable or efficient with. If thats fortran, than so be
it, but dont use fortran because of some programming misnomer.

When you want performance, then optimize your code with SIMD. Blocks
calling into volk kernels are a great example.

-josh