Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GR standard UHD options parser module (was UHD de

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GR standard UHD options parser module (was UHD default subdevice.)
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 19:01:19 -0500

On 29/12/11 06:48 PM, Tom Rondeau wrote:

I absolutely agree on this. We should definitely have a standard uhd options parser that we can pull in to any program using a uhd device. Excellent suggestion.

If we have/had one for GNU Radio before, I never used it or knew about it. Having recently just fixed most of the examples, I never ran across it, either. We do have a preferred style and suggested options in our style guide on the Wiki, though.

For this, we probably don't have enough general use options to have a default GR options parser module, though. We should definitely make a UHD one though.
That was my suspicion--that there just aren't really any "general" Gnu Radio options, except perhaps for scheduler
  tweaks (TPB vs not-TPB is the only one I can think of).

Also, Python 2.7 has deprecated optparser in favor of argsparser (http://docs.python.org/library/optparse.html). We should start trying to make our programs compliant with this while still supporting Python 2.5. It seems awkward to have a check in every Python script if it's 2.7 or earlier, though, but we could easily do it in the UHD options module.

Oh, those silly Pythonians.  Haven't they ever read all those diatribes about "better is the enemy of 'good enough'"?

--
Principal Investigator
Shirleys Bay Radio Astronomy Consortium