Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Gnu Radio architecture, etc

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Gnu Radio architecture, etc
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 18:25:27 -0500

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 6:18 PM, Josh Blum <address@hidden> wrote:

> The move to Python 3.0 is going to be significant, and we probably
> don't want to support both.

FWIW, you can write code for python 3.0 new standards that work on 2.6
and 2.7 (not 2.5). That is, 2.6 and 2.7, for the most part have a
superset of the language.

The issues I mostly ran into were:
1) use the print function, not the print statement
2) use the except Exception as ex: style
3) treat file IO as byte vectors, not strings

Then your code will happy be interpreted by 2.6->3.0. Its a real pain to
test it though. Good thing we have to wait on all those other
dependencies to catch up first.

-Josh

Good point. And kind of like what I said on our last call that we should start writing new stuff that is "towards" compatible with 3.0 whenever possible, if not compatible. We are still Python 2.5 compliant, but this is going to have to change at some point, but I'm not yet sure when we'll be ready to pull the trigger on that or what systems it might cause problems on.

Tom