Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] digital_correlate_access_code_bb

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] digital_correlate_access_code_bb
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 11:51:41 -0400

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 11:03 AM, Nowlan, Sean
<address@hidden> wrote:
> It was easiest for me to save on space of representing values by using
> std::string, converting hex (in ASCII from command line) to binary and
> dumping into std::vector<unsigned char>. It's kind of hack-ish but it works.
> I think we should give some thought to std::bitset or boost::dynamic_bitset.
> They both can be initialized from std::string, so passing a string of 1s and
> 0s as input makes sense. They both define bit operations and operator[]
> access to individual bits, which could be useful. The main difference between
> them is that instances of std::bitset require fixed size, specified at
> compile-time through a template parameter std::bitset<N>. Type
> boost::dynamic_bitset, however can be dynamically resized, which is useful
> for initialization at runtime. One problem is that they are not true STL
> containers and iterators are not defined for them. This is due to using a
> proxy reference to access/modify bits instead of true pointers or references.
> The advantage to bitset and dynamic_bitset is storage space savings, and
> perhaps less awkward semantics for data manipulation, not necessarily speed.
>
> Sean

The boost::dynamic_bitset looks kind of nice to represent this
structure. The initialization from a string is convenient, too. I'm
also not opposed to having hex values specified as "0x...". If
checking for "0x" fails, we assume it's binary and load it as is;
otherwise, we convert from hex.

I'd like to see the speed of this container, though, compared to the
current way it's handled

Tom