[Discuss-gnuradio] OpenMP accelerator used with GNU radio

From: Jeff Brower
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] OpenMP accelerator used with GNU radio
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 18:55:38 -0500 (CDT)

All-

I'm looking for advanced developers who are interested in taking our OpenMP
accelerator and creating a demo GNU radio
application.

The accelerator is a 2.5 Teraflop (32-core) PCIe card with a 1 GBe port and is
programmed via OpenMP.  The objectives
are twofold:

  -fast response / low latency:  C/C++ critical
   response code sections are marked by OpenMP
   pragmas and run on the card; data doesn't
   reach host sw

  -acceleration:  designated code sections are
   marked by OpenMP pragmas and accelerated
   on the card (data has already reached host
   sw)

The latter category would not provide performance advantage over a GPU board,
unless multiple blocks can be enclosed
with a pragma section and run together, and or multiple sections run
concurrently (main idea being to limit frequency
and increase size of PCIe bus data transfers).

>From an Ettus hardware standpoint, the card would look like an Ethernet
>pass-thru for data, so UHD / standard drivers
would still be used.

Yes I have heard there is OpenMP support for Python, but our "source code
parser" doesn't not handle Python yet.

The card is half-size, single-width, 54 W.

I'm open for questions on this.  Thanks.

-Jeff