Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Support wideband(20MHz) OFDM transmitting/receivi

From: Alex Zhang
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Support wideband(20MHz) OFDM transmitting/receiving using RawOFMD and USRP N210
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 17:17:24 -0500

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 9:12 AM, <address@hidden> wrote:

On 06 Aug 2012 17:59, Alex Zhang wrote:

Just state, I was using the tunnel.py instead of the rawOFDM to do the test. Seems nobody declared good bitrate within this community, although I have asked for many times.

--

Alex,
Dreams can come true – just believe.

Nobody has answered because there is no single answer.  Your achievable performance depends on too many factors for anyone to come up with a reasonable answer.

Yes, I agree with you that there are many factors to impact the performance. So I keep asking what is the best performance has been achieved within the community, and then I can compare with them to find out the possible space to improve the bandwidth supported. What I just need is just an concrete number for benchmark. If any guy claims the good result, I will know I still can do something to beat the limit.

Different computers, with very different performance levels, different OS distributions with different optimizations in different parts of the kernel.  And that's ignoring any of the path distortions that may be present between your radios.

The fact is that general-purpose operating systems aren't well-optimized for real-time, high-bandwidth, digital signal processing, even on systems where the "raw" compute power would seem to be adequate. The path lengths (in terms of number of executed instructions) between data sources and the calculations are much longer than they would be in a compute environment optimized for the job.