Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNURadio PER encoder/decoder

From: Douglas Geiger
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNURadio PER encoder/decoder
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 10:33:20 -0400

To add my $0.02:
 I generally agree with Martin on this one. I think the generic
question, i.e. should GNURadio entertain things outside traditional
'signal-processing/RF comms/digital comms/etc.' is: absolutely. If
someone wants to use the GNURadio flowgraph structure to build a
better mousetrap, go for it. If they feel that the structure breaks
down at some point and need to pass it off via source/sink to some
external process, then they should be free to go that way as well. The
bigger issue, which I think Marcus was aiming at, is what blocks
belong in the mainline distribution of GNURadio. With the
restructuring (gr-digital/etc.) perhaps there could be some structure
that allowed higher layer processing blocks (which may/may not include
ASN.1-style parsing), but perhaps that sort of thing should be
encouraged to exist out-of-tree. But my main point is that I don't
think we should limit ourselves to merely being a radio-signal
processing engine (or even a generic signal-processing engine: since
obviously people are doing signal processing that is not radio-related
with the framework). So - my suggestion would be to throw those things
over to CGRAN (or Github, if that's your preference), but still to do
everything we can to encourage that sort of thing. After all, the
important thing here is that although the signal processing flowgraph
may be the most interesting piece (at least to most of us here), it is
the complete application that people want: not just a piece of a
complete solution.

 Doug