[Discuss-gnuradio] Controlport now on next

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Controlport now on next
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 14:27:51 -0500

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to announce that I've pushed ControlPort onto the next branch (for more details on ControlPort, see this for now: http://www.trondeau.com/home/2012/11/18/public-release-of-controlport.html).

A couple of notes. First, we've integrated ControlPort into gnuradio-core so that we can have access to all parts of a running graph (including the top_block!). This doesn't change the fact that ControlPort is an optional feature. So if you don't want it and don't need it, you don't have to worry about it.

ControlPort requires Ice 3.4.x (I'm running with 3.4.2 on Ubuntu) and Swig 2.0. Again, though, this is only required for ControlPort. The rest of GNU Radio will build with Swig greater than 1.3.31. If you want ControlPort, you have to install Swig 2.0.

I cannot get Ice and ControlPort to work on OSX, yet. Neither what's available through ports, the distributed binaries from ZeroC, or my own hand-compiled ICE libraries work. I hope we can trace this down, but I wanted to let everyone know before getting excited if you're using that platform.

Please send bug reports if you have them. I'm especially interested in anything that prevents people from building and using GNU Radio who are not using ControlPort. I believe all of the protections are there, but we'll see.

Thanks!
Tom