Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio release 3.6.3 available for download

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio release 3.6.3 available for download
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 06:46:04 -0500

Mike - What does "otool -L
/opt/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/osmosdr/_osmosdr_swig.so" return?  If it
does not contain "/opt/local/lib/libgnuradio-osmosdr.0.dylib", then there is a
library linking issue.  If it does, then I'll try installing it myself to see
what's going on.

On Jan 16, 2013, at 11:05 PM, Josh Blum <address@hidden> wrote:
> if you come from a windows background, PATH is used for dlls and
> executables. However, for OSX, you will want to set DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH to
> contain your dylibs

Even better on OSX is that you want to make sure all of the link-to libraries
are correctly linked-to.  This is what MacPorts' "rev-upgrade" phase does:
verifies the self-integrity of the MacPorts-installed libraries and binaries.
In this way, when using MacPorts, one does not need to set any DYLD_* stuff
since everything is supposed to "just work".

For the purposes of "day to day" environment settings, I -highly- recommend
against using DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH or any of the DYLD_* variables since that can
really screw with the way things are meant to work.  On OSX, the library
internally contains the other libraries upon which it depends, with a full or
relative path.  So, for example, if there is a conflict between libiconv
(/usr/lib/libiconv* and /opt/local/lib/libiconv*), if DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH is set
to have /opt/local/lib before /usr/lib, then that version of libiconv will be
"favored" (not guaranteed) over the other version.  Which, if the 2 versions
are not ABI compatible, has the potential to wreak havoc since you as the user
will often have no idea that they both exist, and thus no idea why your program
won't run.

So, setting DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH can be useful when testing a project after it is
built but before it is installed -- GNU Radio's test script uses this, both
with CMake as well as prior with GNU Autotools.  It's a wonderful short-term
way to check out what you just compiled for issues, assuming you can set it
correctly to find your new libraries before the old ones (e.g., if they were
already installed).

- MLD