Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] ofdm demodulation

From: Brian Padalino
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] ofdm demodulation
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 16:14:01 -0400

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 6:30 AM, Karan Talasila <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to understand ofdm demodulation using schmidl and cox paper. Can anybody explain how a pn sequence on even frequencies and 0 on odd frequencies help in the estimation of timing and frequency offset.

Hi Karan,

I haven't read the paper, but here is what I know from the description of the scenario.  Someone who has more OFDM experience can probably speak with a little more authority.

If you skip every other bin in the frequency domain, the time domain signal is actually repeated during the whole OFDM symbol. Since the time domain information is repeated, you can perform a correlation with a delayed version of the symbol coming in for some rough synchronization of the preamble.  Also, the phase difference of that result will be the average frequency offset over that number of samples, giving you a decent frequency offset estimate as well.

At least, that's what I think would be useful.

Does that make sense to you?

Brian

--
Regards