[Discuss-gnuradio] GSOC ideas [802.11 and OpenCL]

From: address@hidden
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] GSOC ideas [802.11 and OpenCL]
Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 15:51:16 +0200 (CEST)

Hi all,
yesterday during the meeting on IRC someone tell  about https://github.
com/guruofquality/gras/wiki/Opencl.
At the beginning, thank you for your advice, is impossible know everything
(:
It could be a good way to write different GNU Radio blocks which have openCL
code using __global memory in order to pass data between block, avoiding the
transfer  host /device.
But there aren't way in openCL to pass data between kernel using __local
(called __shared in CUDA!!).
_local(which is on-chip and don't require lot of  cycles for access,if I don't
have banks conflict) is much faster then _global(it is off-chip,uncached and
require hundred of cycles), hence I think that the best way  is to use only one
block to perform gpgpu calculations.

By guys,
Marco Ribero