Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Target freq vs Actual freq.

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Target freq vs Actual freq.
Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 21:41:14 -0400

On 05/02/2013 05:59 PM, NaceurElOuni wrote:
Hi,

I am sending a stream on packets between two USRP N210, and at the Tx side i
am setting a center freq. of 2.490 GHz for eg.
when outputting the Tune Result, I am always getting a difference of some
khz. (Target Freq: 2.490000 GHz

vs

Actual freq: 2.489993GHz)

* I wonder if that is related to the low accuracy of the frequency
synthesizers of the RF front end or is it a software setting issue
* Is the information of the actual freq being centered on returned from the
FPGA, or from the GNU Radio.

The frequency-setting precision of the USRP+daughtercard combinations is under 1Hz. THe *accuracy* (remember the difference between the two from high-school math/physics) is dependant on the master frequency reference used. The on-board TCXO on the N210 is specced, as I recall, to +/- 2.5PPM, and if you use an external GPSDO reference, you can achieve 50PPB accuracy. The +/- 2.5PPM of the on-board TCXO puts it in the "pretty darned good for most applications" category. The average hand-held "walkie-talkie" typically is about an order of magnitude
  worse than this, whether for commercial or amateur-radio purposes.

What you're seeing in the printout is standard anomalies of the way IEEE floating-point works, and the "error" you show there is roughly equivalent
  to an error of 7PPM, if I"ve done my math correctly.

But having said that, in REAL LIFE, all RX algorithms that are demodulating "stuff" particularly "stuff" that is narrowband, will require a mechanism to provide for frequency offset between the TX and RX. It's a fact of life, as sure as the Sun will rise in the morning. No two crystal oscillators are exactly the same, and if you want to build RF systems that are broadly interoperable among devices that may have somewhat-different frequency offsets, stability, and accuracy, you're going to have to deal with it in the receiver.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator