Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] UDP connection to python-C#

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] UDP connection to python-C#
Date: Fri, 03 May 2013 19:22:58 +0200

Hi Adriana,

there is something wrong with the involved terminology here, so
hopefully I understand your question correctly:
You use an USRP E110, on which you run an GNU Radio flowgraph that
you created in python.
You have another computer somewhere else, that has a C# runtime on it.
You want to connect your flowgraph with a C# application on that computer.

"UDP Source" refers (on this mailing list) to the GNU Radio Block gr_udp_source; that block can, of course, only be used inside a GNU Radio flowgraph, because that is the framework it was written with.
That framework has no support for C#.

Since the GNU Radio UDP Sink simply sends out the input samples in UDP
packets, you're totally free to use whatever UDP socket implementation
fits your needs best and exists for your desired programming language/
environment.

I don't know if there is something comfortable to work with in C#;
I never worked with the .NET environment. Most people here are quite
fond of C++/python, so I guess if you want to do signal processing in C#
you're a little bit on your own here.
Personally, if you don't have to extend a already existing codebase, I'd
suggest using python instead of C#... since you'll already be using python when using gnuradio, thus introducing little extra learning effort (python is a nice language to learn, anyway).

However you may write your code:
Happy hacking!

Marcus