Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP2 + WBX for DVB-T replaying

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP2 + WBX for DVB-T replaying
Date: Sat, 04 May 2013 16:31:49 +0200

Hi Dino,

DVB-T works in the UHF / VHF frequency bands, something you can tune
your wbx at without problems.
Bandwidth is about 8MHz (if I'm not mistaken), so that's low enough.
Since it sounds like you'll be doing stuff offline (not in realtime),
processing power is not a factor for your problem, either.

DVB-T generally uses OFDM with large numbers of bins (2^11 or 2^13-bin fft), generous guard intervals and whatnot. A moderately complex system, but someone has already implemented a dvb-t modulator in GNU Radio[1], you can take a look at that, but I doubt it would work with current versions of GNU Radio.

Regarding to your EMM "hint": You do have to realize that EMMs are rather "high level" concepts; you need to encode them into a data stream, mux them together with the video stream, encode that whole thing, map it to the correct OFDM carriers and transmit that.
Since what we're talking about are messages meant to inform decryption
devices about their working state, I guess it won't be as easy as replaying EMMs you captured, since it most probably carries keys for specific content. Then, on the other hand, TV encryption in the 90s has gained notority for being broken shortly after deployment, so this is actually an interesting field of research for someone with a cryptographic background (which I can't claim to have).

Happy hacking

Marcus

[1] PELLEGRINI, Vincenzo; BACCI, Giacomo; LUISE, Marco. Soft-dvb: A fully-software gnuradio-based etsi dvb-t modulator. Proc. WSR, 2008, 8. Jg.