Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Computer controllable antenna tuner

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Computer controllable antenna tuner
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 17:20:13 +0200

As for not talking about hardware on the GNU Radio mailing list - I find
that a little silly.  While GNU Radio is more about a framework for
processing baseband signals, there's also the real need to interface to
the outside world.  Dynamic range, gain, and all the little hardware
bits in the radio front end are all valid discussion points and
completely on topic, in my opinion.

Brian
Hi Brian, Hi Juha,
I didn't mean to stifle hardware discussions at all - it just stroke me as a little bit odd to ask gr-discuss a question that, although being technically related to software defined radio, asks for something that is kind of like "an antenna tuner buying guide"; it's only logical to ask a question like "hey, I'd like to get medium wave audio broadcast transmissions, what do you guys use for a tuner" here. It's less logical to ask "I'd like to buy a 1-20MHz tuner", without adding a little more specs than "computer controllable". Yes, we are software radio users. But we are not the right point to start looking for an antenna tuner, impedance matcher etc. in my opinion. That being said, I think Juha has asked a valid question, and I'd totally like to see him use that antenna / tuner / system with GR,
and therefore I'd actually hope someone helps him choose a good component.

Sorry that I came around arrogantly, I didn't mean to.

Greetings
Marcus