Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] VITA49 - VRT Output from spectrum analyser

From: mleech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] VITA49 - VRT Output from spectrum analyser
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 10:49:39 -0400

On 15 May 2013 10:44, Martin Braun (CEL) wrote:

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 10:36:46AM -0400, address@hiddenwrote:
On 15 May 2013 10:20, Charlie Starling wrote: Hi all, I have a spectrum analyser that outputs its I and Q data over TCP or UDP in the VITA49 format, I've been searching around looking for a way to interface this into gnuradio but all the information I can seem to find regarding VITA49 seems to be with reference to USRP. Can anyone offer any advice or pointers for where to start? I have some programming experience if that's what's needed. The VITA-49 protocol isn't that complicated. I'd write a simple "interstitial" C program that reads the VITA-49 packed samples from your UDP/TCP port, and then sends them along a FIFO that Gnu Radio can open as a file source.
Or even better, write a GNU Radio block that does that and submit it to
github!

MB

Yes, that would be fab.

I would caution that because VITA-49 doesn't actually specify any encapsulation mechanisms for any higher-layer protocols, there's no "standard" way of placing VITA-49 over TCP and UDP, it is necessarily proprietary.

It would be much better if there were a standard encapsulation--that would make having a Gnu Radio block be a very desirable thing...