Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio presentation at Virginia Tech, Monday

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio presentation at Virginia Tech, Monday
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 08:40:56 -0400

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 5:48 PM, Jonathan Fox
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 5:06 PM, Tom Rondeau <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> We've been holding GNU Radio Hackfests every now and then in the past.
>> These are meant for the main, core developers to get together and
>> develop new material and features, fix bugs, and figure out where we
>> want to go as a project. You can see some of the output of our last
>> Hackfest from November of last year:
>> http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/Hackfest1211
>>
>> We're holding our next one this coming week at Virginia Tech. As part
>> of it, we're reaching out to the local community at the university and
>> around the area with a brief informational session Monday morning from
>> 10-12.
>>
>> I want to be clear that this isn't something that I'd recommend for
>> anyone outside of an easy  drive to Blacksburg, VA. But at the same
>> time, I didn't want anyone around to miss it if you are in the area.
>> So feel free to come and chat with us! Here are the details:
>>

>> When: Monday, June 3, 2013
>>
>>       10am - 12pm
>>
>> Where: ICTAS 310
>>

>> Schedule:
>>
>> 10:00: Tom Rondeau, GNU Radio maintainer
>>
>>        Introduction to GNU Radio, the community, and the Hackfest
>>

>> 10:20: Ben Hilburn Ettus Research, LLC
>>
>>        Review of software radio hardware
>>

>> 10:40: Johnathan Corgan, Corgan Labs and co-maintainer of GNU Radio
>>
>>        Interfacing and contributing to the community and the project.
>>

>> 11:00: Philip Balister, OpenSDR and GNU Radio contributor
>>
>>        Developing the open source community in the university.
>>

>> 11:20: Martin Braun, Ph.D. candidate, KIT and GNU Radio contributor
>>
>>        Ben Reynwar, GNU Radio contributor
>>
>>        Discussing their contributions to GNU Radio and describing the
>>
>>        new OFDM development.
>>

>> 11:40: Q & A
>>
>> Tom
>>

> Is there any interest in holding a Hackfest in the Washington DC area
> in the next year or two? There are a few universities with engineering
> schools in the area, with University of Maryland as the top one and I
> don't see why their engineering school would turn this down. Just an
> idea from a DC area local.

We definitely have many friends in the DC area, and a hackfest is not
out of the question.

More likely in the future plans would be to host a GRCon in the DC
area, possibly next year. We'll have a day-long hackfest associated
with the conference like we did last time and like we're planning for
GRCon13 (details of that to come soon!).

Tom