Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Mechanism to build in command line help into the

From: Monahan-Mitchell, Tim
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Mechanism to build in command line help into the flowgraph?
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 19:09:32 +0000

>On 06/03/2013 12:26 PM, Monahan-Mitchell, Tim wrote:
>> I have testers that might not see the graphical version of the
>> flowgraph they are testing. To them, they run the flowgraph on the
>> command line, passing in various parameter values using the Short IDs
>> set up in the original flowgraph and built by GRC for the target.
>>
>> Is there a way, for example, to pass in "-h" or similar and the
>> flowgraph spits out help text documentation and exits?
>>
>> I would want this to be created without manually changing the files
>> that GRC produces when it builds the flowgraph.

>See the parameter block in GRC
>
>-josh

I'm sorry, Josh, I'm missing how to do this.

Here is another way to describe an example of this.
Run my flowgraph, asking for help on its parameters and stop:

$ ./my_flowgraph.py -h
Usage: my_flowgraph.py [aeiouh]

-a : This is what the a option is all about
-e: This is what the e option does
   (etc.)
-h: Display this text and exit

The above text would be entered someplace on the flowgraph in GRC, like maybe
the description field in the Options block. Then output of that text to stdout
is triggered by a selectable Short ID from a parameter block on the flowgraph,
or maybe is always hard coded to an option like "--help"?