Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to repeatedly & continously transmit a signal

From: Sean Nowlan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to repeatedly & continously transmit a signal from a file ?
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 13:59:52 -0400

On 06/04/2013 01:09 PM, Monahan-Mitchell, Tim wrote:
- How is it possible to transmit a file (as a signal source) repeatedly and
continously without interrupts (with gnuradio & uhd) ??
Even without the USRP (i.e. just simulating with throttle & graphical sinks and
a file source) interrupts occurs (time-periods of no samples) for each time the
file repeats (i.e. starts over from the beginning). Same thing with transmitting
with USRP as uhd-source (then without throttling of course), however no underruns
are reported.
I want to continuously send a prepared signal from a file over and over again but
can't accept the interrupts each time the file ends & starts over. This happens
even at slow sample rates and I want to transmit really fast!
I might have found a solution to this about year ago but now I can't remember
what I did... something simple...
Somehow read in the whole file into cached memory so it doesn't need to be
re-read from disk for each repetition (in Linux)... but how?
Maybe create a small ram-disk outside of GNU Radio, then copy your file to it,
then use the new path for the file source block?
Depending how big this file is and how much memory you're willing to consume, you can read your file into a vector (from Python, this is pretty easy with numpy.fromfile() or a simple for loop ) and use it to initialize a vector source (with repeat=True).
- Tim