Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Tun/Tap Problem while Running tunnel.py while wir

From: Jay Prakash
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Tun/Tap Problem while Running tunnel.py while wireshark recognizes
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 20:00:31 +0530

Yes I have tested using different frequency.No help.

And while debugging I figured out that PHY layer receives the packet from transmitter sent as ping ICMP packets and decodes the sender's address.
After that it writes to the tun/tap. But tun/tap reply is unavailable.
Ie there is some problem in tun/tap and PHY layer interface.

How to figure this out?

Jay Prakash
Senior Undergraduate
Electronics Engineering
IIT (BHU)
VARANASI

+91-9559475258
http://about.me/jay.prakash/
http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=91120191&trk=hb_tab_pro_top

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 7:13 PM, Tom Rondeau <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 3:22 PM, Jay Prakash
<address@hidden> wrote:
> We are working on establishing a tunnel for MAC protocol design using
> tunnel.py given as example in GNU Radio but are unable to receive ping reply
> from the other node.
>
> We created tun/tap interface using ./tunnel.py -f 990M and ipconfig
> 192.168.200.1 on Machine A connected to N210 series of USRP.
> and ./tunnel.py -f 990M and ifconfig 192.168.200.2 on machine B.
>
> 1. Now on pinging machine B from A we can see ping packets being sent to B
> by A using wireshark, but there is no reply on node A.
>
> 2. We went into details and saw there were ARQ requests from B repetitively.
> I manually added the mac address to update the table.
> Now ARQ request ceased to exist but still there were no replies on A.
>

> 3. Since we knew the Packaging details of ICMP we read the packets being
> received by B and found the exact source address of A from the frame. It
> means message have been successfully decoded by the destination and it knows
> whom to reply for the ping but still I don't find any reception confirmation
> on source side.
>
> What may be the possible problems?USRP antenna gain?Packets collision?
>
> In short we are unable to use tunnely.py  and are seeking for possible
> causes.
>
> Jay Prakash
> Senior Undergraduate

You could be having gain issues. Test this using the standard
uhd_siggen and uhd_fft programs to understand what settings give you
the best gain.

Also, try using different frequencies for transmit and receive (use
the -h on the command line to figure out how to do this).

Tom