[Discuss-gnuradio] Emergent code-generation weirdness in GRC

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Emergent code-generation weirdness in GRC
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 18:36:15 -0400

I just had a weird problem with multimode.py with a user bringing it up on Ubuntu.

It provoke TypeErrors in the multiply_const blocks, due to multipy_const_vxx expecting a vector, and being passed a scalar.

GRC has code in it to recognize scalars, and wrap "[ ]" around them to make them lists, and thus "correct" types for multiply_const_vxx.

Except that this "recognizer" now appears to be broken on some platforms, and not others, so even when I'm using a multiply_const block (from GRC) for a non-vector flow, I have to wrap my constants (which are in turn in variables) inside "[" "]". This has worked for years and years. Otherwise, things like GUI slider controls attached to multiply_const blocks wouldn't work, but they do, because the evaluator inside GRC recognizes the scalar type and "does the right thing". Except, now, it's not always "doing the right thing".
  I'm seriously puzzled.

I saw an instance of this a couple of months ago, but never tracked it down to anything. The "victim" user today was using the very-latest
  "maint" (3.6.5) on Ubuntu 13.04, as I recall.

Josh has already seen this, but if anyone else has any ideas, particuarly about why on one platform and not another, that would be good.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator