Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Using GMSK Mod to send digital data (e.g. an ASCI

From: embyte
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Using GMSK Mod to send digital data (e.g. an ASCII string)
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 12:36:53 +0200

Hello Adeel/ML, this is fine, thanks.

Next doubt is the data format as input of the GMSK block.

Should it be as sequence of unsigned char[] bits ("01010101 00000000") or unsigned char[] bytes ("\x55\x00")? Looking at the Mod code (gmsk.py), the modulator first does a bytes_to_syms().

Second, in GRC 3.5.6.1 there are 2 GMSK modulator blocks, called:
- GMSK Mod (Samples/Symbols, BT)
- GMSK Modulator (Samples/Symbols, 3dB Time-Bandwith Product, Pulse Duration)

What's their difference, and what are the meaning for the parameters on the 2nd (GMKS Modulator)?

Thanks!

Il 21/07/2013 07:52, Adeel Anwar ha scritto:

 >>1. Still I have to insert a "Packer Encoder"  between my code and the
GMSK mod? If yes, with which parameters? The GMSK mod is configured with
Samples/Sym=50 , BT=0.4.
No. U can make custom packet structure and in that case u need not to
use Packet-Encoder.

 >>2. Can someone explain me how to use the bitrate parameter? I mean,
should I "sync" the output of my block with the modulator? If yes, how?
Sync is not required because Signal-Processing blocks in GR don’t
understand bitrate/sampling-rate. If u have connected  Transmitter-FG
with USRP,  then u can determine the "effective bitrate" of transmitter
by calculating it backwards from USRP-sink sampling-rate.

symbol-rate = usrp-sampling-rate / samples-per-symbol
bit-rate = symbol-rate * modulated_bits_per_symbol

-Adeel

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 1:44 AM, embyte <address@hidden