Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FFT --> IFFT

From: Robert James
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FFT --> IFFT
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 08:22:08 -0500

On 11/18/13, Marcus Müller <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Robert!
>
> This is strange -- but could be explained by the fact that numerical
> inaccuracy don't allow us to *exactly* recreate all values during fft-ifft
> operation.
> Also, make sure you use a rectangular window.

Wow, switching to a rectangular window of fft_size solved it! I'm
baffled: I know windows are a way of pretransforming the wave prior to
FFT, to eliminate artifacts.  I just used the default window.  Why did
I need a rectangular window here? In what other cases do I need it?

Now, the only discrepancy I see is that the FFT->IFFT ended up
*increasing* the amplitutde by a constant (not sure why or what the
constant is).

> How do you know there is this very low frequency carrier? how low is it? How
> much power does it have?

On the osilloscope, I see the input signal as a constant wave, which
it is, and I see the output signal a wave of the same signal, but with
amplitude visually oscillating between very high and nothing.  On the
audio, I hear the signal coming in and out, in and out, or, depending
on how I set it, I hear a ringing over it (which I assume is the beat
freq).  On the FFT display, I see the carrier as a peak, and a long
thick band trailing off to the left.

I don't know how to measure the power - according to the FFT display,
it's not just at one freq, but trails off very far to the left.