Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Install failing on Ubuntu 12.04/AMD64

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Install failing on Ubuntu 12.04/AMD64
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 21:43:18 -0800

On 11/24/2013 05:17 PM, Marcus D. Leech wrote:

> But this raises a kind of meta-point.  How is the Gnu Radio project
> supposed to keep track of each of *dozens* of Linux distributions that
> may, or
>   may not, package the Gnu Radio software, and may, *entirely at their
> pleasure* obsolete those packages, or move them around?
>
> It's not the members of the Gnu Radio project who (in general) package
> Gnu Radio for distribution "foo", but rather the "packaging team" for
>   distribution "foo".  We may, or may not, get any kind of communication
> or feedback from those packagers about Gnu Radio--which versions they've
>   packaged, whether they've packaged it at all, etc, etc.

We routinely get mail from some distribution packagers about downstream
issues/decisions.  Maitland Bottoms for Debian is good about this, we
hear and get patches from Jaroslav Skarvada from Redhat, the Arch
maintainer (sorry, forgot the name) pops up in here on occasion, etc.

It really is up to them to send issues upstream to us, not the other way
around.  I try to listen closely to and work with those that do.

--
Johnathan Corgan, Corgan Labs
SDR Training and Development Services