[Discuss-gnuradio] Gauging interest for an SDR PA

From: Louis Brown
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Gauging interest for an SDR PA
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 20:37:41 -0600

Given the availability of SDR hardware (USRPs, BladeRF, HackRF, etc) covering
VHF through S/C bands, is there any interest in a wide band power amp to
complement this hardware?  GaN seems to be ubiquitous now, and there are medium
power, 48 VDC parts available in low cost SMT packages.  So I think it's
feasible for something like:

50 MHz - 3 GHz bandwidth
Class AB
5 - 30 VDC supply (high efficiency, high frequency boost supply)
10 dBm drive
37 dBm Psat
Robust to full mismatch (open/short)
Logic level enable
ALC with VSWR monitoring (serial, I2C, etc)
Small (cigarette pack or smaller)
Low cost
Open source